Thursday, October 28, 2004

Spicy Pumpkin Pie Bars

I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that my office building was having a pumpkin-dessert contest. Upon entry, I was given my choice of a pumpkin to take home, given that I would bring a dessert to enter on Friday. How could I resist? I LOVE pumpkin. I have to thank Katie for that, for her passionate love for Theno's Pumpkin Ice Cream, and our many trips out there during high school.

I set to work to find a recipe suitable for the occasion. I have made many pumpkin desserts that I have thoroughly enjoyed, but this event called for something special. Then I remembered my college roommate's recipe for Pumpkin Pie Bars. We served them at our Halloween party Junior year. And they were delicious. I found the recipe and made a few variations, and this is what I came up with. Add the chili powder and ginger to your taste, the amounts listed are only what I preferred.

Spicy Pumpkin Pie Bars

1 1/2 C flour
1 C finely chopped pecans
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C firmly packed brown sugar
2 t freshly ground cinnamon, divided
3/4 C butter, room temperature
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1/2 t freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine flour, pecans, sugars and one teaspoon cinnamon. Add butter and mix until consistency of crumbs. Reserve 1 1/4 cups of mixture. Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper. Press remaining mixture into bottom of pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, remaining cinnamon and spices. Mix well. Adjust spices to taste. Pour evenly over crust.

Add 1 tablespoon of flour to the reserved crumb mixture. Sprinkle over pumpkin mixture. Bake 30 minutes, or until set. Let cool for 10 minutes, serve warm. Mmmmmmmmm.

No comments: