Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Rainy Day Pumpkin Soup

I am a Seattle girl. I crave clouds and trees and clean air every moment I am awake. I know that Los Angeles is an incredible place, but my heart is not here. And yet, as Autumn is finally approaching L.A., I find myself growing more content. The past few days have been my happiest in L.A. in quite some time. Why? The rain. The clouds. The sudden [temporary] lack of smog. For a few days I am able to enjoy Seattle in Los Angeles. Well, at least a little bit. Have you ever noticed that you crave soup on rainy days? Perhaps it is just me, but that is all I have wanted for the last 48 hours. Yesterday it was Chicken Noodle; today Butternut Squash. With the abundance of winter gourds available, it is the perfect time to satisfy that craving. I promised my grandma that I would give her my Pumpkin Soup recipe. So here you go, Grandma Bah; I'm sorry I can't be there to make it for you.

Rainy Day Pumpkin Soup

2 Small Pumpkins (approximately 1-2lb each, I use Sugar pumpkins--or you can use 1 can pureed pumpkin)
1 C diced onion
1 C thinly sliced onion
1 1/2 T unsalted butter
1 1/2 C chicken stock
1 1/2 C water
Crumbled blue cheese

Slice one pumpkin in half and place, cut sides down, on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees, 35 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Scrape the pulp out of the pumpkin halves and reserve pulp.

Cut top off of second pumpkin, scoop out pumpkin seeds and strings. Discard, or reserve seeds for toasting if desired. Set aside.

Over low heat, cook onion and butter until onion is tender. Add pumpkin pulp, chicken stock and water, simmer 20 minutes.

Puree in blender until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, and water to thin, if necessary.

Top with crumbled blue cheese. Serve in carved out pumpkin.

Serves 4-6

No comments: