Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Tequila, Lime and Ruby Grapefruit Sorbet

One of my favorite dinner parties I've thrown was an early Tuesday Night Dinner. It was loosely mexican-inspired and served outside on our then-beautiful deck. It was my first attempt at enchiladas, and that was obvious. They were crispy, dry, and frankly, rather pathetic. Regardless, being the good, empathetic, friends that they are, the TND members devoured the enchiladas with no complaints (perhaps that was because I was consistently refilling the beer margaritas).

I had, and have, much to learn when it comes to cooking mexican food. I am intimidated by mole, overwhelmed by homemade tortillas, and scared to death of peppers. But that night I found the staple dessert for any mexican dinner: Donna Hay's Tequila, Lime and Ruby Grapefruit Sorbet. Sweet, tangy, and with the smallest hint of a kick, I turn to this recipe time and again. When the rest of the meal makes me want to crawl under the table and hide, I know that this dessert will tiptoe in at the end and save the night.

Everyone leaves happy, remembering how fantastic that sorbet was. And somehow it tends to put a rose-colored spin on the rest of the meal as well.

Tequila, Lime and Ruby Grapefruit Sorbet
(Donna Hay's Entertaining)

1 C. fresh lime juice
1 T. finely grated lime zest
1 1/4 C. sugar
3 C. bottled ruby grapefruit juice
1/3 C. tequila

Place the lime juice, lime zest and sugar in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the ruby grapefruit juice, sugar mixture and tequila into a bowl and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into an ice-cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions to make sorbet. Alternatively, pour the mixture into a bowl and freeze for 1 hour. Whisk the sorbet and freeze for another hour. Whisk the sorbet again and freeze until solid. Serve in scoops.

Serves 6.

1 comment:

Rachael Narins said...

I am super crazy about your blog! Its great. I added to my blogroll, so I can come back often.

Keep up the great work!

Rachael