Friday, February 04, 2005

The Wonder that was Curry

A few days ago I realized how long it had been since I'd had curry. "Mmmm, curry" I thought. Needless to say, within a few hours I had compiled numerous recipes for curry dishes. I finally decided on a simple recipe that had received overly-rave reviews on epicurious.com: Cashew Chicken Curry. I like cashews! I like curry! I like chicken! Well, that was easy.

As I set to work that evening, happily sauteeing onions, garlic and fresh ginger, I read the next step: add 3 tablespoons curry. "Oh boy! This is the good stuff now!" I thought as I gleefully read the labels on my new spice-organization-system (will write more later). Ummm. No curry. "Ok, don't panic--check in the cupboard where the not-so-common spices lived" No curry. Ooookkkkkaaay. I turned to my darling friend/TND member/newly instated french tutor Jeff with my most horror-sticken face and stated "I have no curry. What is Cashew Curry Chicken with no curry?!" My world was falling apart.

Much to my surprise, Jeff didn't panic. He simply looked up from the little french booklet he'd bought for me and said, "So make it."

I'm sorry? WHAT?

Apparently the curry seasoning you buy at the store is not just ground up curry leaves. It is a mix of eastern spices, usually containing curry, paprika, turmeric, ground cardamom, and many combinations of spices.

So there I was, full of wonder as I tossed without abandon varying amounts of garam masala (a great indian spice if you've never tried it), paprika, turmeric (for that great yellow color!), cinnamon, ground cardamom, and crushed red chili flakes into my great pot. The smell blew me away--it was better than curry! It was my curry! And oh was it good. I'm not sure I'll go back after that experience.

Try it for yourself sometime; but make sure you have garam masala on hand. It is well worth the adventure. And please understand, I'm sure there is nothing authentic about this suggestion. This is my adventure with curry, one might consider it "Kristy-Indian" fusion. He he he.

1 comment:

Andrew Butters said...

Mmmm curry.

Please, take a minute to read
THIS
and vote for "Jodi & Andrew" on the site mentioned there. We'd really appreciate it. Thanks!